John Preston' s recipe for:
To Make 12 Cakes
9 fl oz Melted Margarine (slightly cooled)
8 oz S.R. Flour
8 oz Soft Brown Sugar
5 oz Carrots (peeled and finely grated)
Half a Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
5 oz Chopped Walnuts
For the Icing
1.5 oz Butter
6 oz Cream Cheese
10.5 oz Icing Sugar
To Make 108 Cakes
3.5 Pints Melted Margarine (slightly cooled)
4lbs S.R. Flour
4lbs Soft Brown Sugar
2.5 lbs Carrots (peeled and finely grated)
4 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
2.5 lbs Chopped Walnuts
For the Icing
12 oz Butter
3lbs Cream Cheese
5.25 lbs Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease 2 x 8 inch cake tins (for 12) or 3 large baking trays (for 108)
- Sift together the flour and spices.
- Finely grate the carrots. (I use a parmesan grater)
- Finely chop the walnuts (in a food processor works best)
- Whisk the sugar and eggs until thick and creamy.
- Pour in the cooled margarine.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Divide between your greased trays. Bake for 25 mins or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre.
- Turn out onto a wire cooling tray and cool thoroughly.
For the icing mix all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
For 12 portions use the icing to fill the cake and cover the top and sides, decorate with chopped walnuts and walnut halves.
For 108 portions or packed lunch cakes, spread over the top of the cake and decorate with walnut halves.